Monday, December 6, 2010

Alge-i don't know-ometry




Middle School Math. The most difficult thing that I don't ever remembering how to do. I'm sure that there are plenty of other people that know how to do this, (my buddy Johnny Saleman) however I was never able to get the hang of it. It is true that I need these math skills in my everyday life, I just wish that I knew ore about trigonometry and the tougher Algebra standards. The first day that I started teaching in Hayward, I was thrown into an algebra readiness class with 7th grade students. The everyday teacher left me notes asking me to introduce reciprocals and factoring binomials and trinomials including using protection while factoring. No notes, no examples for me to be guided on, nothing to go by but my extremely positive strong middle school math memory. It was a very tough day! I just remember the students laughing and joking about how the teacher wanted me to instruct them about Protection. No joke....... He told me in the notes that if I used humor about protection then the students would remember how to use the FOIL method; which is pertinent to binomials. The day ended with 6th period refusing to calm down. I don't think that I was or will ever be cut out to teach middle school math or at a secondary level.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails